For the first time ever, the Star Wars movies are coming to Digital HD. For those who don’t know what that means, you’ll be able to purchase and own a digital copy that you can play on your PC, tablet, smartphone or even on newer Smart TVs or gaming consoles.
For those who purchase movies on Disney Movies Anywhere, or have purchased from and linked their iTunes, Google Play or VUDU accounts, what this also means is that you’ll be able to have Star Wars movies added to your Disney Movies Anywhere collection. All except for Star Wars Episode IV, which 20th Century Fox still owns the rights to. The fact that they have a “placeholder” for Episode IV in Disney Movies Anywhere leaves me with
A New Hope that they might add it if Fox ever sells off the rights to Disney.
For the Star Wars purists out there, Star Wars through Jedi (Episodes IV – VI) are still the “Special Editions”. I predict that by the time whatever format follows Blu-ray comes out we may eventually get our wish.
There will also be bonus features, both old and new, for those who purchase. A list of bonus features is listed below and will vary by retailer.
Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Conversations: Doug Chiang Looks Back
- Discoveries From Inside: Models & Miniatures
- Legacy content includes “The Beginning”; The Podrace: Theatrical Edit; plus eight deleted scenes.
Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Conversations: Sounds In Space
- Discoveries From Inside: Costumes Revealed
- Legacy content includes “From Puppets To Pixels: Digital Characters In Episode II”; State Of The Art: The Previsualization Of Episode II; and “Films Are Not Released, They Escape”; plus Episode II Visual Effects Breakdown Montage and six deleted scenes.
Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Conversations: The Star Wars That Almost Was
- Discoveries From Inside: Hologram & Bloopers
- Legacy content includes documentaries “Within A Minute: The Making Of Episode III”; The Journey Part 1; and The Journey Part 2; plus six deleted scenes.
Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (20th Century Fox)
- Conversations: Creating A Universe
- Discoveries From Inside: Weapons & The First Lightsaber
- Legacy content includes “Anatomy Of A Dewback”; Star Wars Launch Trailer; plus eight deleted scenes.
Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- Conversations: The Lost Interviews
- Discoveries From Inside: Matte Paintings Unveiled
- Legacy content includes “A Conversation With The Masters” (2010); “Dennis Muren: How Walkers Walk”; “George Lucas On Editing The Empire Strikes Back 1979”; and “George Lucas On The Force: 2010”; plus six deleted scenes.
Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Conversations: The Effects
- Discoveries From Inside: The Sounds Of Ben Burtt
- Legacy content includes “Classic Creatures: Return Of The Jedi”; “Revenge Of The Jedi Teaser Trailer”; Return Of The Jedi Launch Trailer; “It Began TV Spot”; “Climactic Chapter TV Spot”; plus five deleted scenes.
Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens will be in theaters December 18, 2015