- Picture & Sound
- Bonus Features
Disney’s “The Muppets” is now available to take home on Blu-ray, DVD and combo packs. For you true Muppets fans out there, I recommend the “Wocka Wocka” value pack. It’s a Blu-ray/DVD combo pack that includes a free download code to get the MP3 Soundtrack to the movie!
I think we all owe Jason Segel a debt of gratitude here. There hasn’t been a theatrical Muppets feature film since 1999′s “Muppets From Space”. It’s easy to take yesterday’s films and movie making technologies for granted. With constant immersion/bombardment in today’s CGI and 3D-laden films, today’s generation may not even know about the art form that Jim Henson pioneered with his Muppets. When asked why Jason Segel wanted to bring The Muppets back to the big screen, he said “It started when I was a kid-the Muppets were my first comic influence and I was in love with puppetry. I just thought it was an amazing art form. “We ended ‘Forgetting Sarah Marshall’ with a lavish puppet musical and The Jim Henson Company designed the puppets. Something started growing in my belly and Nick and I came up with this idea and pitched it to Disney. Disney liked the idea so we wrote the script.”
The movie cost $45 million to make and earned $158.4 million at the box office. I’d say Segel and company definitely did something right here! Another thing they did right…MUSICAL NUMBERS! Only minutes into the film, we’re already got our first (of several) big musical numbers, something that Muppet movies are known for.
Picture and sound on the Blu-ray are excellent and the story on this one is appropriate for almost all ages (it got a PG rating).
Bonus features are very much worth watching as well.
On vacation in Los Angeles, Walter, the world’s biggest Muppet fan, his brother Gary (Jason Segel) and Gary’s girlfriend, Mary (Amy Adams), from Smalltown, USA, discover the nefarious plan of oilman Tex Richman (Chris Cooper) to raze Muppet Studios and drill for the oil recently discovered beneath the Muppets’ former stomping grounds. To stage a telethon and raise the $10 million needed to save the studio, Walter, Mary and Gary help Kermit reunite the Muppets, who have all gone their separate ways: Fozzie now performs with a Reno casino tribute band called the Moopets, Miss Piggy is a plus-size fashion editor at Vogue Paris, Animal is in a Santa Barbara clinic for anger management, and Gonzo is a high-powered plumbing magnate.
3-Disc ‘Wocka-Wocka Value Pack’
(1-Disc Blu-ray + 1-Disc DVD + Digital Copy + Soundtrack Digital Download Card)
- The Longest Blooper Reel Ever Made (In Muppet History–We Think) – A laugh out loud look at the actors’ funny gaffs and gags from behind the scenes of making Disney’s “The Muppets.”
- Disney Intermission – Groundbreaking Blu-ray feature. Pausing a movie will never be this much fun, as the Muppets take over the screen every time you stop the disc!
- Scratching The Surface: A Hasty Examination of the Making of Disney’s “The Muppets.” Hosted by unit production manager monster J.G., the cast and crew take a behind the scenes look at making Muppet and movie history.
- Explaining Evil: The Full Tex Richman Song. Rapping his way through the story of his miserable life, Tex tells audiences why he turned out to be such a rotten guy.
- A Little Screen Test on the way to the Read Through. This hilarious footage follows the Muppet gang as they go to their first table reading of the script.
- Eight Deleted Scenes
- Audio Commentary with Jason Segel, James Bobin and Nicholas Stoller
- The Combo Pack also comes with the popular theatrical spoof trailers
- The Complete Soundtrack